Statistics is the science that deals with the collection and obtention of data and of its subsequent treatment in order to express it numerically in order to draw conclusions.
The first statistical studies were demographic so a large part of the vocabulary has been preserved.
- Population: the group on which the statistical study will be based.
- Individual or Statistical Unit: Each element that compose the population.
- Sample: A selected group of the population that although being representative it is smaller than the entire population.
- Sampling: Obtaining information about a sample, object of our statistical study.
- Value: All the results we can obtain. In the case of a coin, the result would be heads or tails.
- Data: The different values that we obtain for every individual. If we flip a coin three times we would obtain 3 pieces data, for example: head, tail, head.